Friday, October 28, 2011

~baked chicken chimi's~

Since the final episode of Project Runway isn't 
online yet this morning let's talk about a favorite topic of mine....
FOOD!

Don't you find one of the trickiest parts of dinner
is trying to come up with something different?
Most women I talk to feel like they make the same
things over and over. I do it too.

The fall season is like my cooking New Year.
The colder weather always brings with it a desire to
cook more and to cook different things.
It's like an awakening for my kitchen since I 
HATE cooking in the summer when it is hot.
A couple years ago I got this recipe from a friend 
for baked chicken chimichangas.
DEEE-LISH-US!
I dug the recipe out of it's hiding place after finding
that my friend had forgotten/lost the original recipe herself. 
Since she needs the recipe again too, I thought I 
would just share it on here so everyone
can partake in the goodness of this dish.

 This is most of the ingredients you will need for the actual chimis....
pretend there is shredded cheese in this picture.
-tortillas
(these are the BEST kind you can buy in the store)
-olive oil
-shredded chicken (I used 3 breasts)
-cream cheese
-taco seasoning
 -cilantro (optional)
-onions (optional)
-shredded cheese

First off you want to shred your chicken.
Now combine the cream cheese with the chicken....
use whatever it takes to make the consistency you want.
I used about 6 oz.
Add your taco seasoning (a packet) and 
remaining ingredients that you want in the 
chicken filling mixture.

Next you're going to put a hefty spoonful onto 
your tortilla and roll it up with the ends tucked in.
After you get it rolled place it on a baking sheet
and brush some olive oil on it.
This makes about 6 chimis.
Place them in oven after they are all rolled and oiled down.
350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Now here's the REALLY good part.....the sauce!
I didn't take a picture of the ingredients but here's the list:

-1 can cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
-1 can green chilis (4 oz)
-1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
-1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice (about half a lime)
-cilantro (optional)

Put all the above ingredients in your food processor or blender
and liquefy. Transfer to a saucepan and heat up while your
chimis are baking in the oven.
It should resemble something like this.
Take your chimis out of the oven once they are slightly golden
and a little crustified. If you cook them too long they
puff up and explode. 
Garnish the chimi with some of this sauce and
whatever else you like.......
 Serve with Spanish rice and you've got yourself a 
delicious chimichanga platter without all the deep fried greasiness.
My 4 year old will even eat this!

I was thinking last night as I was cooking this....
you know you're getting old when instead of swapping
bar stories and cocktail recipes you are sharing
dinner recipes and reality T.V. schedules. 

Whatever recipes and stories you are sharing.....
ENJOY!

Linking up with Positively Splendid.

2 comments:

Monika said...

This looks delish! I am going to try it.

Jolie said...

hell yah!!!!
now it's all coming back to me!!!
damn...those are some good pieces of love in the mouth! gonna make those this week.
great pics paula!

Total Pageviews